Today I was going to talk about Americans living in "poverty," but I think our friends at Hack Wilson have said it best, so I won't reiterate.
On a side note, I just have to say...
A cutting-edge, yet slightly conservative, discussion of hot issues in our 21st-century modern world, from a sociological perspective (sometimes psychological). While there is no intention to offend anyone, I present issues from a factual, often cold, standpoint. Specifically, most blogs will be centered on parenting, crime, family dynamics, popular news stories, disturbing societal trends, history, and my personal criminological theory. Why is the world so scummy? My opinions are not popular.
I rest. But I am not rested.

Thanks for the link! I like your blog. I'll link to you in my favorites. Keep up the great work.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my place earlier. You and Hack are right. This country doesn't know poverty. Johnson's "Great Society" has cost us $15 Trillion since it's creation. Does that number ring a bell?
ReplyDeleteThanks, guys! It's really nice to get connected with other free thinkers who don't follow the "Sheeple". Please share with your people, I have great topics coming up!
ReplyDeleteI find these types of analyses to be quite generalist, racist, and harmful. To say that a poor person isn't poor because they own a television, car and cell phone is completely flawed. Items like these could have likely been purchased before someone fell on a hard time, lost their job or another means of income. It's also unrealistic for anyone to expect someone who is legitimately seeking employment not to have a means of contact, especially someone who is homeless. Homeless people have no permanent address to list on job applications. A cell phone allows them to be contacted by potential employers and managers.
ReplyDeleteSure, people who seek government assistant should do everything in they can to empower themselves, work through their situation and become independent. But, that doesn't mean that someone below the poverty level should be expected to live in a 1-bedroom apartment lacking air conditioning, transportation, and methods of communication because of their status.
My point is that if they're below the poverty line, they should be selling those nice cars at LEAST.
DeleteAlso, I didn't say that they aren't poor. I think that a lot of times they're poor BECAUSE they have to indulge in all this American materialism. However, the "poverty level" is like $20,000 for a household. Something like that. People all over the world mostly live on $1 a day or less. Americans love to buy things on credit, and that's a huge reason why we're in this mess today.
I have absolutely no sympathy for someone living in a 1-bedroom apartment without transportation or communication, because I have been without all those things at one point or another, in my 1-bedroom apartment. It's still pretty decent. Also, most urban areas have public transportation specifically to relieve this problem.
Just keep in mind that a poor person anywhere else in the world sleeps on the ground, and can't afford the most basic needs. There are a few of those in our country, and they should get government assistance. However, I'm not down with dishing out welfare for being a dumbass and driving $70,000 cars. No, thank you.
I'm really sick and tired of the lame excuses that these Libs come up with about why we must vote for Obama and about how bad Mitt Romney is.
ReplyDeleteThere people are either deaf or blind or both. How can anyone believe that Obama would not disappoint us after the poor job and all the failed policies that he has had in the past 3 and a half years!
Obama continues to say what progressives want to hear and then blames Bush's policies over and over again.. He's 2 faced plain and simple and the country is no better off than it was before he took office, in fact maybe worse!!
The liberals won't admit it but they got suckered in by Obama. I think the country is worse off now than ever before in our history.